Thursday, March 3, 2011

Book of the Week: February 27th 2011

How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)How To Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Simple put: Funny, quick read. Bad vampires and good vampires don't like each other. "Damned" angst vampire falls in love.

Biggest problem with this book was all the religious stuff. Damning of souls, God has left me, God heals all. I like my vampire straight up, sexy, and godless!

My other problem was the crying heroine. Jeeze! She cried every other page.

The appeal of a vampire book, I think comes down to the ultimate tall dark handsome troubled man we romanticize about changing. It’s a conquest to change the ultimate bad boy into a loving ball of mush. We also picture ourselves as his ultimate choice, an undying love for all of eternity, healthy and with copious amounts of financial security. Right? That seems to be the theme with modern day vampire books out there for us readers.
I’m currently searching for the evil vampire in the modern times, You know the type of vampire that is scary and actual kills people. I have to say they are hard to find nowadays. I suppose Anne Rice writes a bad vampire you find yourself rooting for. Melissa Mars wrote a whole book based on two “lovable” bad guys, but they were faeries. Is there a lovable bad guy? I suppose I will add that to my reading challenge.
In the mean time, here’s a list of my top paranormal/ paranormal romances in no particular order.
1.       Lover Awakened and Dark Lover (or an J.R Ward book): Hello! Fits the criteria (Tall Dark Handsome Troubled). Interesting take on the vampire and battle over good and evil.
2.       Interview with a Vampire.
3.       Half Way to the Grave: finally a kick ass female heroine!
4.       Ink Exchange: Book 2 The incredible mature teenagers and the lovable bad boy faeries!
5.       Kiss of Midnight: Big twist, if you like the J.R. Ward you’ll like this.
6.       Dead to the World: The shower heard around the world!
7.       Guilty Pleasures: This stars Sookie, I mean Anita Blake.
8.       Nice Girls Don’t Have Fangs: A funny undead librarian!
9.       Some Girls Bite: Book 1 of a series, takes place in Chicago, funny, lots of tension.
10.   Soulless
11.   Lord of the Fading Lands:  a Cinderella story in a fairy world.
12.   Divine by Mistake: a funny accidental goddess story!
13.   The lightening Thief: Teenage demigods.
14.   The Black Jewels Trilogy: Daughter of the Blood, Heir to the Shadows, Queen of the Darkness: Bad guys as good guys!
15.    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
16.   Twilight: The movie ruined this book for me. This book is hit or miss with readers. Miss for vampire fans, Vampires don’t sparkle! But the dialogue between the main characters was good.

Honorable Mention
1.       Hunger Like No Other: book 2 in a series, mediocre.
2.       Bloodsucking Fiends: FUNNY!
3.       A Girls Guide to Vampires
4.       Jacob: Demons and Faeries
5.       Outlander : One element is “paranormal-ish”
View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment