Monday, January 31, 2011

Book of the Week : January 31, 2011

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1)Soulless by Gail Carriger

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I judged a book by it's cover on this one! I wanted to know what's up with that woman with a parasol! I was eager to read this book and glad I did.

The Synopsis, Alexia Tarabotti has no soul. (isn't that a kicker! no one would want you, heaven or hell.) She's a half Italian spinster whose father is dead and lives with her half sisters, Step-father, and Mother. At a party, while being attacked by a vampire, we learn what being soulless means and what power one with no soul has. A handsome werewolf, Lord Maccon comes to her aid. But this is just the beginning of the trouble Alexia and Lord Maccon will face.

Alexia has an interesting "power". I liked it, different then your usual paranormal romance/mystery. She was funny, in a dry kind of way. The thing that bothered me about Alexia, the constant mentioning of her complexion and her nose.
The chemistry between Lord Maccon and Alexia was good. I enjoyed the buildup of their relationship. I'm still a bit hazy on the hedgehog but I'll let that slide.

Lord Akeldama, besides the blatant stereotyping, The "promise" or "pact" he makes with Alexia toward the end was heartwarming!

This was my first steampunk novel. I have to add that because It was hard to picture the contraptions and stuff. Otherwise this book has a bit of every genre in it, so there's something for everyone!





View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment